PENTAX K10D FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION 1.31
- Improved recording stability when using some SDHC memory cards.
- Added compatibility with the supersonic motor drive of Pentax SDM lenses.
- Added the required programming for compatability with the Pentax Remote Assistant 3 software.
- Improved multiple exposure function when shooting in RAW.
- Corrected an issue with luminescence control and trailing shutter curtain sync when using the built-in flash.
- Using the camera's built-in flash, you can now wirelessly control external Pentax flashes. Previously, you needed an accessory flash mounted in your camera's hot shoe, but now the built-in flash can act as a control flash.
- In autofocus select mode, you can program the AF button to instantly return to the center autofocus point.
- In Tv or Av mode, you can now program the second e-dial to adjust your ISO setting.
- In any exposure mode except Sv and TAv, you can change your ISO setting with the front e-dial while pressing the OK button. The camera will display your ISO in the viewfinder and on the top LCD panel as you adjust your setting.
- In TAv mode, you can program the green button to return to the camera's program line. Previously this functionality was only available in M mode.
- You now have additional options for programming your e-dials in P mode.
- Pressing the green button while adjusting flash exposure compensation will now return you to the default value.
- Corrected an issue in some rare cases where a long exposure might produce a vertical stripe.
- Corrected an issue where the battery charge indicator would sometimes show empty in bulb exposure mode.
- You will need a blank, formatted memory card with a capacity of 16 MB or higher.
- You will need your camera's USB cable, or a memory card reader.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged, or that you are using an optional AC adapter to prevent power interruptions during the update process.
FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - WINDOWS
- Click the Windows link below to download the self-extracting firmware archive file (k10e131w.exe). Click SAVE to save the download file to your computer's hard drive. Saving it to your desktop, for example, will make it easy to find after the download is complete. Please note: this download file is not the firmware update file itself, but a compressed archive that must be expanded in the following step.
- Next, double click the download file to expand it. Once expanded, you will see a readme text file (README.TXT) and the firmware update file itself (FWDC162B.BIN). The readme file contains instructions similar to what you are reading on this page.
- You must now copy the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) to your camera's memory card. When you connect the camera directly to your computer (or if you use a card reader), the memory card appears as a removable disk drive in the My Computer window. Make sure you are using a blank/formatted memory card, then drag & drop (or copy & paste) the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) from the desktop to your removable disk window, which is the camera's memory card. Please note: You must put the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) directly onto the removable disk; it cannot be in any sub-folders. It must be on the top (or root) level of the removable disk.
- Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC162B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera. We recommend you use a Pentax AC adapter to perform the firmware update, but if you do not have a Pentax AC adapter, make certain that your battery has a full charge.
- To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message "NOW LOADING" then the camera will display the firmware update menu.
- Select "YES" using your camera's 4-way controller (the default is "NO") then press your camera's OK button.
- The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a couple of minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.
- When the update is complete, you will see "COMPLETE" on your camera's LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
- With the memory card removed from the camera, check your new firmware version by turning the camera back on while holding down the MENU button. Before you begin to take pictures again, be sure to format your memory card to erase the firmware update file.
FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - MACINTOSH
Mac users can follow this same process after clicking on the Macintosh download link below.
- Download and save the Macintosh download file.
- Decompress it with your Stuffit expander program.
- Connect the camera to the computer.
- Copy the firmware file (FWDC162B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, then disconnect the camera from the computer.
- Proceed with the installation of the firmware as outlined above.
Copyright April, 2010 Pentax Imaging Company. All rights reserved.
"Pentax" and "K10D" are trademarks of Hoya Corporation.
Any other product and company names shown here are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- DOWNLOAD MACINTOSH FILE (1.48 MB) Download
- DOWNLOAD WINDOWS FILE (1.56 MB) Download
- Firmware 1.10 Info (PDF, 66.8 KB) Download
WINDOWS RAW CODEC
The Pentax RAW codec for Windows Vista and Windows 7 (32 bit) runs behind the scenes, allowing Windows' own image viewers such as Photo Gallery to recognize and display Pentax RAW files (.PEF) from Pentax digital SLR cameras. Please note, this CODEC software will not operate under the 64 bit environments of Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Click the download link below, and save the download file to your computer's hard drive. For example, saving the download file to your desktop will allow you find it easily once the download is complete.
Close other applications, then double click the download file to begin the installation.
Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
Restart your computer (this may happen automatically).
Date: November, 2009
Copyright: Hoya Corporation
Reproduction: All rights reserved
All product and company names shown here are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies
- WINDOWS VISTA/7 32 BIT RAW CODEC (8.59 MB) Download
PENTAX REMOTE ASSISTANT 3.51
PENTAX is pleased to announce the release of PENTAX Remote
Assistant 3, available free of charge to owners of compatible
cameras. Remote Assistant allows you to use your computer to
control a tethered camera, making it ideal in various studio and
special application photographic situations. In addition to
standard remote camera operation, Remote Assistant offers
functions such as:
- Operational control of 2 or more cameras
- Interval, Timer, and Bulb Timer modes
- Remote User Mode and Custom Functions control
- And more
- K10D (with firmware version 1.20 or later)
- Added support for the K20D DSLR camera.
- Added support for limited camera setting synchronization
with multiple cameras.
- Added support for custom image modes.
- Shortened lens names in the Image Data window (Photo
- Added lens data for new PENTAX lenses: DA 18-250, DA 18-55
II, DA 55-300, DA* 200, DA* 300, DA 35mm Macro Ltd.
- Improved the autofocus indicator in the viewfinder when
using Auto AF.
- Improve dialogue display when shooting in Continuous (Lo)
- Windows: Windows XP/Vista (32 bit), Pentium 4 equivalent or
later, 512MB RAM, 250MB HDD, monitor resolution 1024x768 or
better (24 bit color).
- Macintosh: MacOS-X 10.3.9 or later, G4 (1 GHz) processor or
later, 512MB RAM, 250MB HDD.
- Click the download link below appropriate to your operating
system, and save the download file to your computer's hard
drive. For example, saving the download file to your desktop
will allow you find it easily once the download is
- Close other applications, then double click the download
file to begin the installation/update. Mac users may need to
first unstuff the download file prior to installation.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the
- Once you have finished installing the Remote Assistant
software, you can launch it directly from Photo Browser by
clicking on the Remote Assistant button. You can also launch it
from the Start Menu (Windows) or from the Pentax Digital Camera
Utility folder (Mac).
Date: May, 2008
Copyright: Hoya Corporation
Reproduction: All rights reserved
All product and company names shown here are trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective companies
- REMOTE ASSISTANT 3 FOR WINDOWS XP/Vista (6.56 MB) Download
- REMOTE ASSISTANT 3 FOR MACOS 10.3 (16.7 MB) Download
- REMOTE ASSISTANT 3 FOR MACOS 10.4 or later (17.0 MB) Download